Welcome to Rwanda, Africa!
DURATION: 4 Days
- Volcanoes National Park – Gorilla Trekking
- Visit to historical sites and monuments
- City tour of Kigali
|AIRFARE:||International Airfare Upon Request|
|ACCOMMODATIONS:||Hotels used (or similar)|
Accommodations Per Person Sharing, including hotel taxes
Arrival & departure transfers where applicable
Local guides / safari guides where applicable
Meals per itinerary
Park entrance fees and sightseeing fees where applicable
Airfare and air taxes
Cancellation, baggage, travel and medical insurance
Items of a personal nature such as baggage porterage, gratuities/tips, laundry, telephone calls, bottled water, etc.
Visa and visa fees
Optional sightseeing and activities
Meals, beverages and services not mentioned in itinerary
For additional information or reservations please complete QUOTE REQUEST form in side bar of this page or contact us directly to speak to one of our Destination Experts.
We can personalize this tour just for you! Call: 1 800 263 2995 / 416 391 0334 or complete form in: CUSTOM-CRAFTED tab on this page.
Thank you for choosing Tourcan Vacations! Providing Vacations of a Lifetime.
Day 1 Arrive Kigali
Upon arrival at airport in Rwanda, you will be warmly met by a representative, who will provide assistance and transfer to your accommodation to check-in.
Overnight: Kigali – (B)
Day 2 Ruhengeri
- 04:00 Depart Kigali with parked Breakfast and drive to Ruhengeri. 3 hrs.
- 06:40 (approx) arrival at the Volcanoes National Park HQs
- 07:00 Registration is a simple process where the park staff determines which group of gorillas you will visit.
The park staff discusses your fitness level and advises you of the trekking times and conditions to the various groups based upon their location in the park the previous evening.
- There are a total of 64 gorilla permits available each day with a maximum of eight trekkers visiting any one group. Once the trekkers are put into groups, each group’s Lead Guide briefs the trekkers of the trekking procedures as well as the do’s and don’ts while in the presence of gorillas.
- After the briefing, trekkers return to their respective vehicles for the drive up the mountain to the starting point. Porters may be hired for the trek to carry your backpack and gear. The cost is ten USD per person/per day. We advise that you utilize this service. Trekking can take from two to six or more hours if the gorillas move before the park rangers locate them the next morning. The guides stop frequently to allow trekkers a chance to rest and take photos along the way.
- Upon sighting the gorillas, you will stay with them for a magical hour as they go about their daily life, feeding, playing, resting; raising their young. Coming face to face with a giant silverback must truly be one of the greatest wildlife experiences on earth!
- After the trek, rejoin your driver Guide for a transfer to to Lodge for lunch.
Overnight: Lodge – (B, L, D)
Day 3 Ruhengeri
- 06:20 Transfer to the Volcanoes National Park HQs for your second day of trekking.
- 07:00 Briefing by your trackers then drive to the trail head for the start of your amazing Gorilla Tracking adventure. Your trek again starts in the cultivated foothills of the Virungas offering stirring views in all directions. When it enters the national park, trekkers will be immersed in the mysterious intimacy of the rainforest, alive with the colourful bird calls, chattering golden monkeys, littered with fresh spoor of the mountains, elusive buffalo and elephant. Through gaps in the canopy, the magnificent peaks are glimpsed, among the highest in Africa yet easily accessible, beckon an ascent. Weaving through overhanging vines, moss-covered hagenia trees and giant lobelias that thrive in the tropical climate, our experienced trackers, who have spent their entire lives in or close to this forest, soon bring us up close with one of the Gorilla Families.
- After the trek, rejoin your driver Guide for a transfer to Lodge for lunch.
- Depart from foothills of the Virunga volcanoes and drive south past coffee, tea and banana plantations on a scenic drive to Kigali. Everything and everywhere, sheer green and hanging on the hills; Rwanda truly – land of a thousand fertile green hills. (2.5 hrs), Transfer to your Kigali Hotel.
Overnight: Kigali – (B)
Day 4 Depart Kigali
- Enjoy the city tour of Kigali. The history of Rwanda dates back centuries, Kigali has been a part of it for 100 years. Founded in 1907 as a German settlement, Kigali did not become the capital until Rwanda’s independence in 1962 when it replaced the colonial seat of power in Butare.
- Visit the Kandt museum, see old Kigali and the craft centres then visit the genocide memorial site. Learn about Rwanda’s history from pre-colonial times to the 1994 genocide; learn about other genocides in the world and how this country has dealt with that past.
- Tour more and see the new developments in Rwanda; the recovery has been incredible, a testament to humankind’s resilience.
Departure: Transfer to the Airport for departure flight. – (B)
Meals as per itinerary: (B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner)