Welcome to India, Asia!
ROUTE: Chennai, Mahabalipuram, Pondicherry, Tanjore, Trichy, Madurai, Periyar, Cochin
DURATION: 12 Days
- Visit to historical sites/monuments
- Sightseeing in Chennai including visit to Kapaleeshwar temple
- Visit the city of Mahabalipuram famous for the seven pagodas
- Pondicherry sightseeing tour to the French Tamil quarter and the world famous Sri Aurobindo Ashram
- Tanjoresightseeing to the world famous Brihadeshwar temple
- Sightseeing of Trichy with visit to Sriranganathaswami temple and the Rock fort temple
- Sightseeing in Madurai with evening visit Meenakshi temple for the Aarti ceremony
- Periyar (Thekkady) guided plantation tour and boat trip at the National Park
- Overnight Premium Houseboat with cruise down canals and backwaters
- Sightseeing tour of Cochin
|AIRFARE:||International Airfare Upon Request|
|ACCOMMODATIONS:||Hotels used (or similar)|
Accommodations Per Person Sharing, including hotel taxes
Arrival & departure transfers where applicable
Local guides where applicable
Meals per itinerary
Park entrance fees and sightseeing fees where applicable
Airfare and air taxes
Cancellation, baggage, travel and medical insurance
Items of a personal nature such as baggage porterage, gratuities/tips, laundry, telephone calls, bottled water, etc.
Visa and visa fees
Optional sightseeing and activities
Meals, beverages and services not mentioned in itinerary
For additional information or reservations please complete QUOTE REQUEST form in side bar of this page or contact us directly to speak to one of our Destination Experts.
We can personalize this tour just for you! Call: 1 800 263 2995 / 416 391 0334 or complete form in: CUSTOM-CRAFTED tab on this page.
Thank you for choosing Tourcan Vacations! Providing Vacations of a Lifetime.
Day 1 Arrive Chennai
Upon arrival at airport in India, you will be warmly met by a representative, who will provide assistance and transfer to your accommodation to check-in.
Day 2 Chennai
- In the morning following breakfast, visit Kapaleeshwar temple. This ancient shrine dedicated to Shiva is centrally located and among the area’s most popular landmarks. Lord Shiva once pinched off one of the heads of Brahma to arrest his pride. A crestfallen Brahma came to this place, installed a Siva Lingam and did penance. The Lingam is known as Kapaleeswarar.
- At noon, visit National Art Gallery and Government Museum, which houses a fine collection of items in various sections of geology, archaeology, numismatics, anthropology, botany and zoology.
- Later, visit Marina Beach which extends from Fort St. George all the way to Mahabalipuram.
Overnight: Chennai – (B)
Day 3 Chennai - Kanchipuram - Mahabalipuram
- After morning breakfast proceed to Kanchipuram. This ancient capital of the Pallavas, famous as a city of 1000 Temples and still has 124 shrines. The first temple dedicated to Shiva was built in the 7th and 8th century and has paintings on the walls. Temples of Ekambaswara, Kailasanatha, Sri Kamakshi and Varadarajaswamy are of interest.
- After visiting Kanchipuram proceed for Mahabalipuram.
- Upon arrival in Mahabalipuram, check-in at the hotel.
- Later visit the city of Mahabalipuram famous for the seven pagodas.
Overnight: Mahabalipuram – (B)
Day 4 Mahabalipuram - Pondicherry
- Morning drive to Pondicherry a charming coastal town that was formerly a French colony and still has a few touches of French culture.
- Upon arrival check-in at hotel.
- Afternoon proceed for sightseeing tour to the French Tamil quarter and the world famous Sri Aurobindo Ashram a spiritual center founded on modern sciences and yoga.
Overnight: Pondicherry – (B)
Day 5 Pondicherry - Tanjore
- After breakfast depart for the Great Chola Capital Tanjore (The Rice Bowl of Tamil Nadu).
- On arrival check-in to your hotel at Tanjore.
- Proceed for sightseeing to the world famous Brihadeshwar temple. The temple built by the cholas is very special for its architecture. The most surprising is that the temple does not have a shadow falling on ground at any time of day but falls on its own body.
Overnight: Tanjore – (B)
Day 6 Tanjore - Trichy
- After breakfast, check-out of hotel and drive to Trichy.
- On arrival check-in and proceed for sightseeing of Trichy, a town situated on the banks of river Cauvery, visiting the famous “Sriranganathaswami temple” at Srirangam. It is surrounded by seven concentric walls and 21 towers called “Gopurams”. A
- t the next place we visit the Rock fort temple at the main town. A 437 rock cut steps will reach us to the Ganesh Shrine, a view of entire Trichy town from here is breath taking.
Overnight: Trichy – (B)
Day 7 Trichy - Madurai
- After breakfast, drive to Madurai the old city of Tamilnadu. Madhuram means sweet in Sanskrit.
- On arrival check-in to hotel.
- At noon, we do the sightseeing tour of Madurai visiting the famous Meenakshi Temple. People are blessed by the temple elephant.
- Further more visit the Tirumalai Nayak palace and Gandhi Museum.
- Later return to the hotel.
- Late evening visit Meenakshi temple for the Aarti ceremony with a fanfare where the Lord Shiva is lead to the bedroom of his wife, Meenakshi.
Overnight: Madurai – (B)
Day 8 Madurai - Periyar
- After breakfast check-out from the hotel and drive to Periyar (also known as Thekkady). The name Periyar comes after the Dam made here by the English in 1895.
- On arrival at Periyar check in to the hotel.
- At noon, we would leave for guided plantation tour, nearby.
- In the evening enjoy the most popular boat trip at the National Park. There are many animals to see, including herds of elephants, bison’s and packs of wild boars that roam through the woods and parade along the shores of the lake just before sunrise and sunset.
Overnight: Periyar – (B)
Day 9 Periyar - Houseboat
- After breakfast in the hotel drive to backwaters.
- On arrival we would be boarding our houseboat from Kumarakom jetty. During the cruise, you would also be able to drop in at some villages to check out the techniques and procedure involved in coir making.
- Lunch and dinner would be onboard, and you would be spending your night in the mid of the lake.
Overnight: Houseboat – (B, L, D)
Day 10 Houseboat - Alleppey - Cochin
- After leisurely breakfast on board disembark at Alleppey jetty, which is also known as Venice of the East because of the narrow canals and backwaters.
- Transfer to Cochin. Arrive Cochin and check into the hotel.
- In the evening visit the famous dance drama of Kerala, the “Kathakali”. This dance can be characterized by grotesque gesticulations, amazing costumes and very extensive make-up. The stories are mostly taken from the epics Mahabharatha and Ramayana.
Overnight: Cochin – (B)
Day 11 Cochin
- After breakfast, proceed for sight seeing tour of Cochin visiting – The Jewish Synagogue at the heart of what is locally called the Jew Town, The St. Francis Church, the oldest European Church in India, The Santa Cruz Basilica originally built in 1557 by the Portuguese, The Dutch Palace and Spice market at the narrow streets.
- Later return to hotel and in the evening visit the Chinese fishing nets huge cantilevered fishing nets believed to have brought to Kochi by Chinese traders.
Overnight: Cochin – (B)
Day 12 Depart Cochin
Departure: Transfer to the airport as per your flight schedule to board the flight for your onward journey. – (B)
Meals as per itinerary: (B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner)